Sept. 29th is a holiday most people don’t remember until their social feed is clogged with basic photos of coffee.
It’s safe to say that this random holiday is more than our excuse for another pumpkin latte, it’s one of our favorite days of the year. To be honest, our dental squad celebrates every day like it’s National Coffee Day.
Extremes are often taken when something is labeled as good or bad, but take it from us, your Queen City Grounds habit is safe (to some extent)! Let’s break down the dos and donts for your coffee connoisseurs!
Coffee often gets a bad rap for its effect on teeth but, what exactly is so negative about it?
- It only takes one cup of coffee a day to stain your teeth.
- Over time, your teeth can become severely discolored from the dark pigment.
- The acid in coffee can impact and erode your tooth enamel.
- Consuming excess amounts will dry out your mouth and lower saliva production.
This sounds bad, like really bad! Thankfully, our Tyron location’s (and your) Not Just Coffee latte cravings, don’t have to be completely cut out. Here’s how we keep our teeth fresh and you can too:
- Drink water after your cup of joe! Water washes out your mouth and removes excess particles that are left behind. Increasing water intake throughout the day will assist in saliva production and prevent dry mouth.
- Use a straw to avoid sipping through your teeth and reduce the risk of stains. Drinking right out of a mug or cup means the coffee will have direct contact with your teeth and a higher likelihood of staining.
- Practice oral care consistently by keeping up with your appointments, brushing and flossing. Appointments are only twice a year, so make sure to stay on top of your oral health through brushing and flossing twice a day.
- Invest in an electric toothbrush (like Sonicare or Burst!). An electric toothbrush will provide better elimination of particles and residue left behind.
September kicks off cooler weather and festive drinks that we know are hard to resist. Hopefully, these easy must dos will keep your smile shining and your coffee hand warm!
Overdue for an appointment? Book one using this link: https://bit.ly/bookapearlappt